Below the peaks of Creag na Caillich, the Tarmachan Ridge and Ben Lawers lies the picturesque highland village of Killin on the famous Dochart Falls.
Craiglea, Main St.
Killin has a wealth of serviced and self catering accommodation and is close to Loch Tay in the midst of spectacular scenery.
A delightful highland village at the west end of Loch Tay in west Perthshire, it is situated beside the river Dochart close to its junction with the River Lochay and just a few hundred yards from the point at which it enters loch Tay and loses its identity to the Tay, Scotlands longest river.
Killin has been the home of many ancient celtic tribes, saints and clans who have all left their mark on the village and its surroundings. Very little is known of the earliest inhabitants, but they haver left their mark in the form of cup and ring marked stones, stone axes at the Creag-na-Caillach axe factory, and crannogs - stilted dwellings in the loch.
This is the largest and oldest of the many settlements in Breadalbane - 'Braghaid Albainn' - the High Country of Scotland. The name of the village comes from its association with the legendary Celtic Hero Fingal who, it is thought was buried here - 'Cill Fhinn' meaning the burial place of Fingal.
The river Dochart at Killin crosses a ridge of hard rock to form the famed and spectacular Falls of Dochart, with a row of restored cottages on the south side and the old watermill on the north. The celtic saint 'St Fillan' is reputed to have been the keeper of some the famous 'healing stones' which are were once kept in the old mill close to the falls. The famous Clan MacNab once owned these lands and the clan burial ground may be visited on the island of 'Innis Buidhe' which can be accessed from the bridge.
On the Aberfeldy road just beyond the river Lochay, the Golf Club course is on the right. This is a very popular 9 hole course in a scenic location with the advantage of a restaurant open in evenings and whenever the course is open.
See the Loch Tay page for places and stories around the loch
Halfway over the bridge at the Falls of Dochart a gate in the bridge wall gives access to Inchbui (G. 'Yellow Island') which is the burial place of the Clan MacNab of Killin. A stone enclosure some way down the island is the last resting place of generations of the Clan MacNab chiefs. A stone head above each end wall stands guard over the occupants of the enclosure and in the dozens of graves - most unmarked - around the enclosure lie the now constant companions to their chiefs.
Kinnell House, the one time home of the clan chief before hard times forced its sale, stands near the island on the south shore.
The Tarmachan Ridge, Ben Ghlass, Ben Lawers and at least five more Munros (mountains over 3000 feet) lie in the mountain range to the north of Killin. The mountain names are all derived from the Gaelic - Tarmachan = Tarmigan, Ben Ghlass = Grassy or green mountain, Ben Lawers = Mountain of the loud waters. They are the remains of an ancient mountain range which at one time stretched from North America, via Scotland to Scandanavia. Ben Lawers is part of a nature reserve which is famous for its variety of mountain or 'Alpine' plants. They include Purple Saxafrage which is now very evident with its eye catching flowers on moist sunny ledges. Alpine Lady's Mantle covers vast swathes of the mountainside with a yellow carpet when in bloom.
A visitor to Killin will find a variety of shops:Co
One or two good pubs with regular live entertainment.
Falls of Dochart Inn. Overlooks the Falls of Dochart and clients are often seen sitting on the wall with their drinks. Meals served.
Old Flax Mill Restaurant - Luib, Midway between Killin and Crianlarich.
Bridge of Lochay Hotel & Restaurant. Aberfeldy road. Offers a range of foods daily from 12:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 20:45.
Coach House. Pub & Restaurant. Aberfeldy Road. Entertainment.
Shutters Restaurant - Handy, next to shopping centre
Killin Golf Course Restaurant. Food served from 8.30am. Full Breakfasts, hot and cold rolls alongside a full menu.
Ardeonaig Hotel, Ardeonaig, South Lochtayside, By Killin, FK21 8SU. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820400.
|Killin Accommodation Accommodation, Bed & Breakfast, self catering & Restaurants|
Bed & Breakfast
Kiltyrie Farmhouse B&B, Lochtayside, near Killin, Perthshire
|Breadalbane House, Main Street, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820134.
Brochanach, 43 Fingal Road, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820028.
Dalerb, Craignavie Road, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820961.
Dall Lodge, Main Street, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820217.
Drumfinn , Manse Road, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820900.
|Dunlochay Bed and Breakfast, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820 257.
Fairview House, Main Street, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820667
Shieling , Aberfeldy Road, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820334.
The Barn, Antaggart, Main Street, Killin. +44 (0)1567 820286.
Ardlochay Lodge, Maragowan, Killin. Tel: +44 (0)1567 820962.
Killin Highland Log Cabins, Aberfeldy Rd Killin
Morenish Mews Self-Catering Accommodation
| Falls Cottage, Loch Tay, Kenmore, Perthshire
Sleeping 4. Just 200 yards from Loch Tay, near Kenmore in Highland Perthshire this attractive cottage stands, detached, among woodland beside the path to the Falls of Acharn, with its own garden with decking area and conservatory overlooking the stream. Beautifully refurbished, it is a tranquil and peaceful retreat.
Tel 01835 822277 Fax 01835 8222618
Caravan Sites + Hostels
Loch Tay Highland Lodges by Killin
Loch Tay View. Loch Tay, Perthshire. up to 8 persons
|To advertise here,
Beech Cottage, Wester Lix, Killin, FK21 8RD. Tel: +44 (0) 7753 808380..
Read about this fascinating abandoned village and the prophesies of the Lady of Lawers
The outdoor activities centre at the bottom end of the village just past the Co-op has a great selection of outdoor equipment to buy or rent. You can hire a bike here or even a kayak to try in the river Lochay here at Killin
Killin Outdoor Centre and Mountain Shop
Killin Outdoor Centre and Mountain shop. Outdoor equipment and clothing ... local advise freely given.
The walks around Killin cater for a range of abilities, from level lochside rambles to the more energetic half day struggles of Ben Lawers and Ben More. The walks are fully described in the Killin walks page.
Clan Campbell is one of the most ancient clans of Scotland, it's origins being in Clan Alpin, named after Kenneth MacAlpin who was the first ancient king of the early united Scotland. He was crowned at the ancient hillfort of 'Dunnadd' south of Oban on the road to LochGilphead.
The Campbells were a powerful Clan with a burning desire to expand their lands, indeed the ambition of the 16c Black Duncan Campbell of the cowl was to be able to travel on his own lands from the east to the west coast of Scotland. It was an ambition he achieved to the cost of many of his neighbours. The Campbells acquired their lands mainly through guile and legal process, largely with the support of some of Scotlands Stewart kings. It was the Campbells based here in Killin at Finlarig who hounded the MacGregors, the McEwans and many other unfortunate clans to the verge of extinction.
The Campbells were also great castle builders, owning at one stage castles spread over the full width of Scotland, included were: Dunstafnage and Barcaldine near Oban, Kilchurn on Loch Awe, Lock Dochart Castle, Finlarig at Killin, Ardeonaig castle on Loch Tay and Balloch castle (later known as Taymouth) at Kenmore.
Latterly the Campbell fortunes faded and their empire diminished. The final resting place of the last of the Campbells is at Finlarig castle near Killin where even their Mausoleum has collapsed
The name Breadalbane refers mainly to the lands owned by the Campbells from Oban to Aberfeldy. The Name Breadalbane derives from the old celtic words signifying "high Albane" or "the high part of Scotland in the kingdom of Albany". The area is steeped in history, much of it recorded in ancient records, much recorded in ancient pictish carvings and before that, evidence of early occupation lies in 'cup and ring' markings which are found carved in the rocks all over Breadalbane. For those wishing to read more of Breadalbane, copies of a book named "in Famed Breadalbane", written by James Gillies, a parish minister in the early 20th can be found in public libraries in Killin, Callander and Stirling.
Barcaldine, the "Black Castle" of Benderloch is one of the few mediaeval castles in Scotland which is still habitable and which appears practically unchanged. Throughout its 400 year existence, Barcaldine has been a military outpost, a dwelling house, a ruin and now, in the 21st century, a place of interest for visitors to the area to enjoy.
Barcaldine owes its position to a design for defence. The builder was Sir Duncan Campbell, seventh Knight of Glenorchy, known to this day as Black Duncan of the Cowl. In Argyll, where turbulence and lawlessness had followed the break-up of the Lordship of the Isles, the hierarchy abolished by James IV in 1493. It was during this period of lawlessness that Sir Duncan Campbell came to power. He was a very vigorous and forceful character with ambition.
Sir Duncans lands stretched from Barcaldine in the west past Killin to Taymouth Castle on Loch Tay in the east. Not surprisingly, such a wide distribution of property was extremely difficult to control and protect. To this end, Sir Duncan built a string of seven castles. Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe was repaired, as was Taymouth Castle, formally known as Balloch at the east end of Loch Tay. Edinample Castle at the west end of Loch Earn, Achallader at the head of Glenorchy, Finlarig ( Killin ) at the west end of Loch Tay and the island Castle on Loch Dochart made up the rest. The building of Barcaldine, derived from the Gaelic "Ban a challtuin" meaning hazel knoll, was begun between 1591 and 1601. Its construction was recorded in the "Black Book of Taymouth", one of the most informative books of the period Black Duncan installed his third son, John of Auchinryre, to look after the newly erected castle.
Barcaldine Castle is built on the "L" plan with the smaller wing on the south side projecting to the west beyond the end part of the main wall of the castle. This projection enabled the main wall to be protected and covered with small arms. The walls are approximately 9 feet thick, thus allowing the stair passage inside them, and rise to approximately 32 feet.
To see Edinample castle, take the unclassified South Lochearn road at the old church just south of Lochearnhead. About 800 yards down this road you will see the rear of Edinample. Edinample castle is privately owned and is not open to the public.
For a more picturesque view, return to the main road, turn right to Locheamhead, right again and drive 800 yds down the north side of Lochearn. You can now see Edinample across the loch
The castle is inaccessible on an island). If you want to see it, it is 6 miles to the west of Lix Toll near Killin. Just past Benmore farm, Loch Dochart Castle is on a wooded island on loch Dochart on the right.
Drive east through Killin, and 400 yds past the Killin hotel you will see a bridge on the right just before the caravan site . Cross the bridge and in 250 yds, on the left, you'll see a wooded knoll. The Castle is on the knoll. The picture shows the castle atop its small hill now surrounded by trees.
Finlarig was built in the early 1600s by Black Duncan of GlenOrchy, probably the most feared of the acquisitious Campbell clan. He also built a chapel where the ruins of the mausoleum stand to the east of the castle on the mound.
The mausoleum was built by the Campbells ( of Breadalbane) in the early 1800s.
If you walk up to the castle, then face towards the mausoleum ruins, you'll see two gravestones side by side to the left. These stones mark the resting place of the Marquis and Marchioness of Breadalbane - the last of the Campbell line and descendants of Black Duncan - who built this castle and the first mausoleum (also in ruins) behind the graves. (Don't miss the beheading pit to the north side of the castle - grizzly!)
The beheading stone which was here for many years is reputed to have found a new home in a garden in Killin
Take care these ruins are dangerous
Driving east from Coshieville, after about 2 miles, take the next on the right over a little bridge and is on your left over the bridge.
This castle is in a private garden.
Three miles east of Coshieville, one mile west of Aberfeldy and on the north side of the road, you will see the castle across the field.
All of the castles listed lie within easy travelling distance of Killin and can be conveniently visited within one day if Barcaldine is exclude.
Killin - in the highlands of Perthshire
The Trossachs and things to see and do
The Trossachs - the place to be! Callander - the place to be in The Trossachs.
Callander in the Trossachs - the place to be in the Loch Lomond National Park